MINISTER DELAYS REPORT ON OPG DGR
NOW’S THE TIME TO ACT – STOP THE DGR!
Canada’s Minister of the Environment and Climate Change, Catherine McKenna has changed the timetable for her decision on the Deep Geological Repository (DGR) for radioactive nuclear waste. There will be no report from the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency recommending or rejecting the DGR until the Saugeen Ojibway Nation (SON) community has completed their community-driven consultation process and OPG has incorporated those findings into a revised report to the Minister.
The Minister, the CEAA, the JRP, SON, scientists and stakeholders, including those who live in more than 200 cities in the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River Basin, have been asking OPG serious questions about the cumulative impact of this DGR for years. OPG has consistently failed to answer those questions.
Let’s face it, there are 100s of thousands of people who doubt the safety of the OPG nuclear waste dump on the shore of Lake Huron and we are all wondering the same thing – When will the Minister have enough information to stop the OPG DGR?
Like the SON, we remain totally dissatisfied with the assurances provided by OPG and CNSC about this DGR.
We have found that:
- there is no science to support OPG’s safety claims;
- there has never been a DGR that has not leaked;
- the DGR is not needed and better ways of managing nuclear waste exist that are less harmful to the environment;
- OPG refuses to release the costs of this project to the people of Ontario and we know that Ontario will be asked to bear the real cost of construction and the costs of its failure;
- the public hearings and the regulatory oversight of this project have been established and controlled by the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission who stand to gain billions of dollars in revenue monitoring this project.
For these, and many more reasons, we continue to vigorously oppose the DGR project.
With your help we will work, during this period of delay, to share our reasons for opposition, and will ask you to continue to lobby politicians and decision makers on both sides of the border to stop the DGR.
Please send this letter, or write one of your own, and let them know that a DGR on the Great Lakes is a bad idea.
The Great Lakes are your lakes!
What happens to them is your choice!
To learn about this video and other SOS Updates, click here